Think of Me


Elizabeth Mann was 13 years old, attending the Emerson School in Salt Lake City, Utah and it was May 16, 1925 when she started this little autograph book. It is a rather plain little book with the pages tied in, covered in a simple brown binder which is creased and the title "Autographs" stamped in gold is now fading. I found it in an antique store in a pile of books and paper ephemera. It's another from my collection that I have been sharing here on my blog. Some entries are sweet and a little corny. As the book continues her family must have moved to Eureka, NV in the end of 1925 as the entries are all noted as being from there. Eureka is in the North Central section of the state and is high desert and
located on route 50 "The Loneliest Road in the United States." It was a mining town in the 1860's mainly for silver and lead. Population today is around 1300.


                           When you are old and cannot see, put on your specks and Think of Me.
                                                            Your Friend,
                                                                 Awella Haycock


I love pumpkins. I love squash. I love you, I do, by gosh! Your Friend, Lois McDaniel


                 Yours till butter flies and the door steps. A True Friend, Kathryn Steitz


When the golden sun is setting, and your heart from care is free. When of others you are thinking
will you sometimes think of me-  Loving Sister

Some have little pictures added, like the next one. In the poem each ending was drawn and shown in symbol not the words that I have had to put. So imagine it thusly.

          When you're in love it's heart's,
       When your engaged it's diamond's,
           When you're married it's club's,
        When you're dead it's spade's.

                                         I love this one;  As you slide down the banister of life, I hope you
                                                                   won't find any slivers pointed the wrong way.
                                                                                             A Friend,
                                                                                                    Leota

            If you can't be a pine at the top of the hill,
            Be the best little shrub, at the bottom of the rill.
                                  Lovingly,
                                       Rayola

 Some obviously put more effort into their entry;

                    "I would be true, for there are those who trust me.
                      I would be pure, for there are those who care.
                      I would be strong, for there is much to suffer.
                      I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
                      I would be friend to all, the foe, the friendless.
                      I would be giving and forget the gift.
                      I would be humble for I know my weakness.
                      I would look up and laugh and love and lift."
                                              Your friend,
                                               Nellie M.Sloan

And memories added later;                                   

                          Don't forget the good times we all had with ukuleles, Kodak's, and our wide
                             experience in "orchestras."         Sincerely,  Girlie   Eureka, NV  Jan 10, 1927 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Towards Purpose

The Herb Lady of Coventry

Dancing With Flexibility