Miss Crystal Beach

Miss Crystal Beach, Crystal Beach, Florida. Ca. 1925.




 
Look at this modern woman! I came across this postcard amongst my Grandmothers things. Note the cropped hairdo, the loose shirt and knee britches with socks and flat shoes. I love her relaxed, confident stance in the picture. No posing girlie-girl in a bathing suit! In fact rather a masculine shot.

Crystal Beach Florida was named for Crystal Beach, Ontario Canada and founded in 1912. It was founded by a Mr. Avery and a Mr. Rebstock. and their development company. Crystal Lake Beach in Canada was on Lake Erie and was a health spa at one time and an amusement park. It too was known for it's crystal cleat waters. Two gentleman from Texas then took over the development and laid out the streets in squares and they made a seaside parkway so that all the residents of the town could enjoy the beauty of the Gulf. These men were Dr. J.D. Hanby and Mr. A.D. Powers. "We will forever hold this strip of land as a park for the use of the residents of Crystal Beach." Florida in the 1920's was undergoing huge expansion as a destination and tourism area.. at least until the Stock market crashed in 29'.

My Grandmother, Signe Widestrand,  I discovered purchased property in St. Petersburg, Florida some time in the 1920's. She came from Sweden and apparently went to Florida on vacations with friends before she married my Grandfather (another Swede). She lived in New York City in the mid 20's. In fact, I have a rattlesnake skin that she said she shot while in Florida and she said they used to ride horses and go out shooting.  It's 6' long!

This postcard was sent to her from a friend also named Signe to an address in St. Petersburg and postmarked 1925. It asks when she would be coming up again. It is from Tarpon Springs, Florida which is only about  35 miles north of St Petersburg. I guess in those days thirty something miles was quite a day's journey.

I have not been able to find any information about this postcard or a Miss Crystal Beach, but it's fun nonetheless and I love the image. Think of the daring of the 1920's. The changing times. My own Grandmother wore a black, beaded, Flapper style wedding dress when she married in 1926. Our Grandmothers were inspired to dream then and they continue to inspire now.

Comments

Fran said…
I love this! I am writing a book and would like to use this article, if possible. Please e-mail me at franlarson@gmail.com. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Towards Purpose

The Herb Lady of Coventry

The Continuous Thread