Artist Date

 

     Twenty-five plus years ago I read Julia Cameron’s book “The Artist’s Way-A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity” and to this day I practice her main tenets; morning pages, artist dates and walking. Mind you at different times some have gone by the way side temporarily or been adapted differently like morning pages became “whenever I can write the pages” pages, or for a time they were not handwritten but rather typed into a file on my computer. I’m never separated from them for long. They have become a ritual that feeds me.

     I was reminded of the importance of “artist dates” this past Sunday when I attended an Art and Music festival in Hamilton, Ohio at Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park. Strolling through tents looking at art under warm, sunny skies and trees changing into their colorful autumn wardrobe while enjoying classical music is near perfect an artist date as one can get! Especially since the pandemic has sent most of us to our rooms to wait it out, this rare opportunity was just what the doctor ordered. Held outside I noticed that everyone was conscientious about maintaining social distancing, everyone was masked and the crowds were kept to a manageable number. And everyone was happy; thrilled  to be out on a beautiful day; talkative and friendly. It was like everyone was out on an “artist date”. So, to understand the principle you need to know what an artist date is exactly. 

    An artist date is basically about you asking yourself out; to explore; to experience something new; to see something different that stirs your imagination and reawakens your passions. A call to play. And ask you must, because a lot of the time we need to give our selves permission to go out beyond our comfort zones and do something just for ourselves. You leave the “I should’s” at home...I should work on my book, I should clean my apartment, I should...fill in the blank. There is always going to be an “I should” but there is value in replenishing your self and that’s what an artist date does. 

     Strolling from booth to booth my senses were stirred by color, texture, sound, images, and ideas. In speaking with artists who were passionate about their art I couldn't  help but be moved by their energy. Add to that the monumental sculptures that hold space in this park that have been thoughtfully and artfully placed in the beautiful and serene natural setting my soul could not  help but be inspired. Inspiration was everywhere. 

     

     A date with your self doesn’t have to be a grand day out though. It can be as simple as strolling for an hour or two through a different neighborhood, a thrift store, a museum, a hardware store, the library, an art gallery, a garden, an antique store, a farmers market, heck the Dollar store works in a pinch! Give yourself a budget of ten or  twenty dollars and walk the aisles for things to create with. It may be a walk that takes you down a city block you’ve never explored with your camera looking for architectural details. Try a new ethnic restaurant. Open your eyes to your surroundings. Open your ears to the sounds, to conversations, dogs barking, to birdsong. Let your hands and fingers brush against surfaces, carvings, the leaves of plants, the bark on trees. What do you smell; flowers, exhaust, baking bread or perfume? What is inviting you to participate? What is catching your attention? What is resonating within you? Let everything you encounter fill you up. Take a journal to record your finds and thoughts. 

     Checking out the booth of photographer Elizabeth Barron, who’s charming photographs just make you instantly smile, was inspiring. Her business cards are simple squares of her photos that you want to collect like trading cards.  And she gifts customers with a packet of wild flower seeds with your purchase. Like her photographs everything she does is with an eye for detail. The joy she exudes when someone chooses to give a home to one of her pieces warms the heart. It was such a hard decision but I bought caterpillars eating all in a row. 

     Later my brother Bret gifted me the other photo that I loved of a cardinal all fluffed out from behind. A lovely surprise. 

Now every time I pass these lovely images during the day I am reminded of that perfect artist date and the joy I encountered. Just like the caterpillars feeding on a leaf in her photograph I needed to refill. 

     Caterpillars are symbols of pure potential. They latch on to a delicious leaf, play with the food a bit and then hang on until they consume it all up, relishing in its flavor (they are very particular about their food). They go through the process of metamorphosis turning into something even more beautiful. Cardinals symbolize setting focused intentions and the importance of self-care. Artist dates are certainly about nurturing our selves. Two perfect creatures to represent the artists path. 

     So set your intentions to treat yourself often to an artist date and fill your creative tanks often. 


     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Towards Purpose

The Herb Lady of Coventry

Dancing With Flexibility