A Book in Hand

“It had been startling and disappointing to me to find out that story books had been written by people, that books were not natural wonders, coming up of themselves like grass. Yet regardless of where they come from, I cannot remember a time when I was not in love with them -- with the books themselves, cover and binding and the paper they were printed on, with their smell and their weight and with their possession in my arms, captured and carried off to myself. Still illiterate, I was ready for them, committed to all the reading I could give them ...”      - Eudora Welty 




I have always been in love with books. Luckily I was born into a family of book lovers that could not physically pass a book store without stopping in "for just a second." I remember my first bookstore in downtown Springfield, Mass. it was called Johnson's. Multi-floored with new books, art supplies and my favorite area the used books. Towers of bookshelves and stacks upon stacks of books. It was glorious! The smell of old paper and ink-unmistakable. I always preferred old books; the leather covers-the softness from years of human touch, the hand tied bindings, the thin ribbon built-in bookmark,  sometimes, if I was lucky,  a small "extra" was left from a previous owner. Some little item used as a page marker and forgotten.

Some of my fondest memories of childhood revolve around books; receiving a collection of original Nancy Drew mysteries from a family friend; re-enacting scenes from Cherry Ames-Army Nurse by Helen Wells. Where we got 1940's vintage books I don't remember but my girlfriend Suzanne and I would read them and be nurses caring for imagined patients. We frequented Laughing Brook in Hamden, Mass. when I was young. Thornton W. Burgess the author of  Old Mother West Wind Stories, published in 1910, had a studio there. It was a nature preserve and our school would go there on field trips and my family would go hiking on the weekends. I loved his stories of animals and nature - Bobby Raccoon, Billy Mink, and Grandfather Frog and of course the Merry Little Breezes.


Grandmother Signe was a great collector of books; art, history, literature...upon her death we inherited approximately 3,000 of which we went through painstakingly because she was known to tuck all sorts of things between the pages including photographs and money. I kept a number of her books including a first edition Oscar Wilde-The Harlot's House. We donated the majority to the library. My favorite portrait of my Grandfather Robert is of him sitting in his library with an edition of Audubon's Birds in his lap. There is something comforting now about holding a book in my hand that they too loved. Their names inscribed on the inside covers in neat cursive writing. I wonder how many pounds of books I have moved over my lifetime? Why do I collect two of the heaviest things; books and rocks!? Love makes you do crazy things!

I keep a journal of the titles and authors of books I read every year. It is a quick reference so I can look up an author I like and see if they have written anything new. It is also a way to keep track of how many books I read a year. It challenges me. Being the last week of December and of the year I am finishing books to include. I always seem to have a few books going at the same time. I thought it would be fun to include some of the titles by women authors that I have read this year that I found inspiring and enjoyable.

Antonia & Her Daughters  by Marlena De Blasi-  All of her books are a feast for the senses!

The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen              All by Syrie James- an author I just discovered this year.
The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen     I can't get enough- all stories that you can't put down.

One Writer's Garden Eudora Welty's Home Place   By Susan Haltom   Beautiful story and pictures.

Joie de Vivre By Harriet Welty Rochefort    Makes you want to jump on the next plane to Paris...

The St. Zita Society By Ruth Rendell         Quite an intricate mystery full of interesting characters.

Dreadnought By Cherie Priest                    A rousing Steam Punk adventure.

Peaches for Father Frances By Joanne Harris                Her books are always a detailed delight.

An Uncommon Education By Elizabeth Percer          Looking forward to future books by this author.


A Pace of Grace By Linda Kavelin                        A guide to living an authentic life, inspiring!

Faery Tale One Woman's Search for Enchantment in a Modern World   By Signe Pike  Magic!

The Healing Power of Reiki         By Raven Keyes     A moving book by a creative woman of healing.

Writing Jane Austen By Elizabeth Aston       Just a fun book that pokes a little fun!

Queen of the Flowers By Kerry Greenwood       Mystery's set in the 1920's in Australia with a strong
                                                                             independent, woman detective.

Ashenden: A Novel    By Elizabeth Wilhide         I fell in love with this book. Glorious!


This year I have read 75 books thus far this year. We'll see what the final tally is by Dec 31st. The stack of new books I have been collecting are beckoning as we speak. Happy Reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Towards Purpose

The Herb Lady of Coventry

Dancing With Flexibility