Objects of My Heart

 


In my jewelry box two pieces sit side by side in silent companionship. What stories could they share with each other? Conversations of family, adventures, and celebrations I imagine are whispered quietly within. Each piece could not be more different in style or design. One is of a classical nature and the other a bit more modern in form. Each speaks to me of the personality of two women I have never met though with both I share DNA. I am their Great Grand daughter. Elizabeth Christie Kindred my Fathers Grandmother of English descent and the other Emilia Olofsdotter Widestrand my Mothers Grandmother from Sweden.

This necklace belonged to Emilia. When I take the long strand of black beads in my hand I lace them through my fingers. The stones are silky soft, smooth and each is knotted in place. The pendant, a silver round of concentric circles, the outer circle a border of inlaid diamonds. In the center a star burst with eight points and a center diamond. Like a compass in a way, the directions of North, East, South and West marked with a diamond as well. Being the hopeless romantic that I am I imagine it as a gift from my Grandfather. A statement that in life, the circle round, their love was his center. I have a picture of the two of them later in life, perhaps on the occasion of an anniversary and she is wearing the necklace.  She wore it doubled, the pendant by her throat and the long beads hanging to her waist. She holds the beads in her hand. She is elegant, kind looking. She was the mother of ten, the eldest being my Grandmother Signe. 






This piece, a lovely cameo brooch and pendant came down through my Fathers maternal side. It belonged to my Great Grandmother Elizabeth Christie Kindred who emigrated from Canada to Massachusetts and who was of English descent. Oh how my Father loved her. She raised him for a time as a child when his mother was quite ill. Kind, loving and a wonderful cook...a cuddly Grandma. I have a couple of photographs of her sitting in a wicker chair on the lawn in front of the house. She wears a long black dress, her white hair piled on top of her head. The cameo was first passed to her daughter Alberta who then passed it to her daughter my cousin "Tottie". My fathers mother, also Elizabeth, died when he was just 17. Tot never had children so she passed it to me on the occasion of my high school graduation. I wore it proudly that day. It is a brooch but has a retractable arm so you can put it on a chain. I love the twisted gold border that is interwoven with the tiniest of seed pearls. The lovely profile with straight nose of the lady with rather a full face. Much like the women of my family. The graceful folds of her sleeve and bodice that just hint at an elegant gown.  She too wears a necklace. Held to the light the background glows milky coral-pink. Was it a gift or also a piece handed down?

I take both pieces out from time to time and visit with them. Just holding them in my hands connects me to them. Did Elizabeth hold the cameo in her hand and run her thumb over the portrait as I do? I wear the pieces on occasion usually special celebrations. I wonder at the years passed and that they should have even come to me at all. I am honored and blessed to enjoy them now. Someday I'll continue the tradition and pass them to my niece, the next in line. My hope is that my essence will be absorbed into the silver and gold too like luminous threads of love that will continue on and connect us, the women of my family, to each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving Towards Purpose

The Herb Lady of Coventry

Dancing With Flexibility